Your Subtitle text
Showing: 141-145 of 204
Marshall Miles said:   March 30, 2010 4:49 pm PST
This site is TWO thumbs up!

Peter Soulsby said:   March 25, 2010 12:10 pm PST
John: Fantastic site! From my days on WHUS, (the voice in the wilderness, (1973 - 1975). Also, Wood Pond!

John said:   March 3, 2010 11:31 am PST
Just saw your info on WEXT history -wow, what a great resource you have here, thanks and have a wonderful day.

Big Bill Love said:   February 22, 2010 5:35 pm PST
I left WKGN in Knoxvile and arrived at WPOP in Hartford on Thanksgiving Day, 1968. My first mistake was trying to drive THRU New York City and forgetting about the PARADE that day! But I arrived in time to be invited to PD Dan Clayton's home for Thanksgiving dinner. I got to work with a group of true radio professionals like Dick Heatherton, Jack Armstrong, Larry Black, Alan King, Mike Green, Lou Morton, Bill Winters, Mark Driscoll and others. It seemed like all the great DJ's of the 60's came through WPOP but the turn around was very high. I was only there from '68 to '71 but this was the second longest of anyone ever. This was true "boss radio" like I had never heard before and I liked it. It sounded clean and uncluttered and it made WPOP the #1 station. I started out doing 9PM to 1AM, then moved to midday and finally to morning drive when Bill Winters took a job at WCBS in New York. We had a lot of fun playing basketball against local high school faculty and girl's teams. Our slogan was we always had a "perfect" record - we never won a game. We only charged the schools $50 to play which we turned into pizza and beer after the games (except for Larry Black who only drank milk). We ran Dick Orkin's "Tooth Fairy" episodes and somehow we came up with a "Tooth Fairy Ranger" costume for me to wear to remote broadcasts. It consisted of an Australian bush hat, dentist's coat, orange leggings and tennis sneakers. One night I was driving back to the station from a remote in Bristol still in costume and was pulled over by a cop for speeding. He just walked up to the car, looked in, and walked away. I suppose he figured whatever was going on with me was much more serious than speeding.

Dan Blumenthal said:   February 18, 2010 6:30 pm PST
Terrific job, brought back lots of memories. I was a student of Eugene Roure at Pomfret School in the early 70's and, using Gene's contacts at WHUS (Univ of Conn) at at Univ of Bridgeport, cobled together a carrier current staion. The current Pomfret station WBVC was made possible by a grant from the family of one of my classmates, William Cargill, after his untimely death. I went from High School carrier current to Univ of Ct, WHUS where I was program Director from 1976-77. Other Ct radio stops included a VERY brief stay at WINY, a daytimer in Putnam Ct, WXLS-FM in Willimantic, WRYM (which was basically foreign language in the early 80's, I was the ad salesman and the English-language newscaster between the Italian (Lucio Ruzzier) and Spanish shows. My last position was as an ad salesman at WPOP before I left for the 'greener' pastures of Hi-fi sales, a career I pursued for a decade before going to law school and, much to my family's relief, getting a 'real' job. Thanks again for the walk down memory lane.

Sign My Guest Book

Website Builder