WFIF, a daytimer at 1500 khz, had their studios in the late sixties in the old Connecticut Post Shopping Center on Route 1. Back then, it was a regular shopping center with a wrap-around parking lot and the WFIF studios were located in the shopping center's Community Room. The AM studio had a large window facing the Connecticut Turnpike. There was a speaker outside the window and shoppers would stop by to wave and watch the DJ's on the air. There were only two studios and a newsroom. Offices for the station were also included on the other side of the Community Room.
Around this time the program director's name was Todd.
WFIF programmed country music at the time and the station had local high school kids involved at times in playing the music. Reportedly, the WFIF kids eventually won a few awards for their work.
Remotes were done with a Collins remote unit complete with two turntables.
The transmitter site with 3 towers was located at the end of Kay Avenue. The studios were later moved to the transmitter site.
Content copyright . Hartfordradiohistory.com. All rights reserved.