The New Haven Chamber of Commerce, in a 1939 report, stated that WICC was owned and controlled by the Yankee Network of Boston and had studios in New Haven and Bridgeport. Its building in New Haven was one of the largest, most modern and most complete broadcasting stations in all of New England. Programs of the Yankee Network, the Blue Network, the Colonial Network and the Mutual Network were re-broadcast over the station. It had several programs which are broadcast over a nation-wide hook-up over the Mutual and Colonial Networks from its New Haven studio. Its power was 5,000 watts on 600 kc.
The very first public mention of radio station WICC appeared in a story in the November 16, 1926 edition of the Bridgeport Telegram. It told how Bridgeport's radio broadcasting station would have a new label beginning on November 21. WCWS would become WICC, with the last three letters standing for Industrial Capitol of Connecticut. The station would occupy the same frequency (285 meters, at the time) and the same power, 500 watts. The holder of the WCWS license was The Bridgeport Broadcasting Company, Inc."
WICC began it's first broadcast day on Sunday, November 21, 1926 from studios located at 1188 Main St in Bridgeport. The programming for the day consisted of:
10:30AM - Park Street Congregational Services
2:00PM - The California Nightingales
3:30PM - Ruge's Reveliers
5:00PM - The Dixie Boys and Ray
7:00PM - United Congregational Church Services
Dec. 31, 1926 - Moved to 1050kc 500w. Owners: Harold D Feuer and Charls W Solen.
May 31, 1927 - Moved to 1400kc 250w.
Oct. 30, 1927 - Moved to 1130kc 500w.
Dec. 31, 1927 - Relocated to Easton CT.
Jan. 31, 1928 - Moved to 1130kc 500w.
Dec. 31, 1928 - Moved to 1190kc daytime only.
Feb. 28, 1929 - Moved studio to Bridgeport CT.
April 30, 1930 - Moved to 600kc 250w.
May 30, 1930 - Moved to 1190kc 500w daytime only.
Feb. 28, 1931 - Moved to 600kc 250w.
May 29, 1931 - Now 250w night 500w day.
By late 1938 WICC was operating with 1,000 watts day and 500 watt night. They became part of the Yankee Network in 1941.
The first time WICC apears in the Connecticut State Register is in 1941 when the station is listed on 600 KHz with 500 watts, owned by Bridgeport Broadcasting Station, Inc.
WICC Towers on Pleasure Beach.
Dennis Jackson photo.