Author: John Ramsey
# of Pages: 128
Over 220 high quality images
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Order Today by clicking below:
Radio broadcasting has been an integral part of the history of Hartford since the early part of the 20th century. WDRC was the state’s first station (1923), and they helped pioneer FM radio technology in the early 1940s. Many Hartford residents learned about the end of World War II via radio, and the medium played a key role in keeping people informed during the floods of 1938 and 1955, the Cuban Missile Crisis, and the great Northeast Blackout of 1965. Surprisingly, Hartford, the capital of “the land of steady habits,” saw two stations break from the pack to help bring the British Invasion to the state in the early 1960s. And thousands of schoolchildren eagerly listened to WTIC’s legendary Bob Steele on wintery mornings as they excitedly awaited school closing announcements. Hartford Radio offers a glimpse into the history of the area’s broadcast stations and the people who ran them.
AVON ANTENNA SYSTEM
Rare picture of the two original Avon towers at night, each tower illuminated by the spotlight on the opposite tower!
WTIC utilized a "T Cage" antenna erected betweem two 200' towers on the roof of 26 Grove Street in Hartford when they first signed on in 1925. When they increased power to 50,000 watts and moved the transmitter site to Avon Mountain they erected a "T cage" antenna at the site.
These towers are long gone but the foundations and center tuning house remain and are shown in the pictures below.
This was the center tuning house of the original T cage antenna.
Original base of west self supporing tower.
The three photos above are of what remains of the base
of the original east tower.
This is where the original open wire line entered the center
Two pictures of the west tower base. Note the old spotlight which was used to illuminate the other tower.
A wide view of the original center tuning house.